Under 7s Rules Summary
All teams should have a full copy of the WJYFL mini soccer rules, however, the following provides a
summarised version of the main areas which most often require clarification. The summary also covers
guidance on the administration of matches, which if followed, helps the games run smoothly.
Normal laws of football apply, except as stated below:
1. The format is seven-a-side for Under 9’s and 10’s and five-a-side for Under 7’s and 8’s.
2. Matches will be of 15 minutes duration each way. (10 minutes for under 8’s and Under 7’s)
3. There is no offside.
4. Substitutions are on a “Role on role off” basis.
Managers should wait for a break in the play and notify the Referee that they wish to make a substitution.
Managers should ensure that the player being substituted has left the field of play before the substitute
enters the field of play. Substituted players can re enter the game.
5. At kick offs, Corners and Free Kicks, Opposition players must stand 4.5 metres from the ball.
All free kicks are direct.
6. Goal Kicks can be taken from anywhere in the penalty area. Opposition players must retreat to the half
way line. The ball cannot be played until it has left the penalty area.
7. The Pass back to the Goalkeeper rule applies. If a passback occurs, a direct free kick is to be awarded to
the opposition on the edge of the Penalty area nearest to the point where the Goalkeeper handled the ball.
8. Ball Size : Size 3 for under 7’s, 8’s and Under 9’s, and Size 4 for Under 10’s
9. At goal Kicks the opposition must retreat to the half way line.
Confirmation of normal rules (As stated above, normal rules of Football apply, but the following are
areas that most often require clarification) :
1. At Kick Offs the ball can move in any direction, and goals cannot be scored with shots direct from the kick off.
2. Normal foul throw rules apply.
3. The deliberate back pass rule will be enforced.
Goalkeepers can come out of their areas. Goalkeeper drop kicks are permitted.
4. All players must wear shin guards covered by their Socks.
5. Normal disciplinary rules apply, yellow and red cards will be issued if the referee deems it appropriate.
1. Team Officials should register their team for the day at least 15 minutes prior to their first Kick off time.
2. At registration, each team should pay their match fees and hand over their team registration sheet, together
with the players registration documents.
The sheet will be signed by the centre administrator so that no more names can be added and returned to
the team sheet.
3. At the end of each game, both team Managers should sign the Referees Card to confirm the result.
Managers should also enter the result in the spaces provided on their registration sheet, which should be
signed and handed into the centre administrator after their second game.
4. All teams should carry their players’ league registrations with them at all games, and will exchange them
with their opponents prior to each game. They should also be available on request to Opposition
Management and League Officials.
5. All teams should carry an alternative strip/bibs. In the event of a colour clash, the first named team should
6. Prior to the start of each game, both teams should provide a suitable matchball to the Referee, who will
choose the ball to be used.
1. Managers are reminded that they are responsible for the behaviour of both their Players and Spectators.
2. Foul and abusive language will not be tolerated. Offenders will be asked to leave the ground.
3. In the event of injuries play will be stopped at the Referees discretion. Only two adults should move onto
the field of play to attend the player. No other adults should move onto the field of play.
4. In the interests of Safety Managers and Parents should ensure that Children do not swing on Goals.
5. Managers and spectators are asked support both teams in a positive and friendly manner.
6. Spectators should stand behind the Respect barriers. Mangers should stand in the Technical Areas.
The above is for quick reference, League rules, as detailed in the official handbook, and Mini Soccer
rules, as detailed in the Mini Soccer handbook, apply in all instances.